23 June 2009

summer in soho

i've fallen in love again. with london. and soho.

i was at great malborough street tonight, at the intersection with carnaby street (outside Leon's most profitable store). was returning from a lovely dinner at Busaba with sid and sam (isnt their thai calamari fabulous???)

Alan Yau is pure genius. Princi on wardour is so sexy. you always feel like you are eating outside your tax bracket; punching way above above your weight (like billy bob thornton). this place is designed by the Armani designers. of course it is always packed.

ok, Wagamama sucks these days, but back in the day, it was mind blowing stuff. apparently.
nick says that the first time he went to Wagamamas it played havoc with his sense buds. in a good way that is. we hear that Wagamama was the original inspiration for david "fuck it, let’s just cook what we want" chang's cultish Mamofoku Noodle Bar in NY (apparently his Asian burritos aren't flying) . and dont even get me started on uber cool Hakkasan.




but back to falling in love. it was all a part of the sing london campaign.

there was this piano man, phil compley banging away on a piano (there is a piano at almost every location Mooli's would like to be at - we must be on the right track! ). and he played imagine. strawberry fields. wonder wall. piano man. tambourine man. in my life. and yes, i was the loudest singer. i loved every moment of it. in the end there were 20+ of us, enjoying not knowing each other, enjoying a few pints together, enjoying the music al fresco.


this reminded me of why i first loved soho. leather clad, camp harley davidson riders sipping coffee outside Cafe Nero. trendy types eating falafels at maoz. vampires @ Garlic & Shots. 24 party people at Balans. oustanding flat whites at fernandez & and wells.


people watching on frith street.

govinda cafe and hare krishna types. macchiatos at midnight from bar italia. and ronnie scots.





we might not have been able to make Summer in Soho a reality for Mooli's (because the rest of the world doesnt work on Mooli's timelines unfortunately), but we're working on it. watch this space. We're almost there.

6 comments:

Incognitus said...

london is glorious in summer time ...makes me nostalgic!

Alan Yau is legend... have not yet heard of anybody else who has one after the another created some great food places/chains. For a food lover, he is a demi-god!

TaB said...

The music on the princi site is beautiful.

Webinsider said...

Hello Matthew/Sameer: We are looking to start a food business in India. I came across your blog..and it is very interesting. Bread(Roti/Paratha) is very important for Indian food. I would like to get more information about Moolis and how is the progress on that. Also...have you given some thought of moving to India to join the food revolution there?

mathew said...

sure Webinsider - happy to chat. Why dont we communicate via e-mail - mathew@moolis.com and sameer@moolis.com

R said...

I can't believe I missed the piano! I was at moolis day before yesterday but hope the next time I am there something equally fun will be on.

Is the malabar chicken stew still around? I am drooling as I type and would love to drop by again.

R said...

I can't believe I missed the piano! I was at moolis day before yesterday but hope the next time I am there something equally fun will be on.

Is the malabar chicken stew still around? I am drooling as I type and would love to drop by again.